These steps will help you change the oil on a scooter or motorcycle in no time whatso ever.
Hitting the spanner’s and doing a little bit of maintenance on your two wheeled pride and joy is something you may love.
On the other hand if you lack a bit of understanding on basic servicing and maintenance procedures you can very quickly neglect your bike leading to problems further down the road.
Not changing the oil in your scooter or motorcycle regularly can reduce performance and increase fuel consumption and engine wear, jeopardising your warranty or the only means of transport you have.
This post will help your to understand and know how to change the oil on any scooter or motorcycle. You will learn the following:
- Why you need to change oil.
- How to change oil on a scooter of motorcycle.
- The best types of oil to use.
5 Steps: How to change oil
Warm up: start your scooter or motorcycle and allow it to run for 5mins. This will warm up the oil allowing it to drain quicker.
Locate dipstick and remove
Place low profile drain container under engine to catch oil
Locate oil drain plug which is usually at the lowest part of the engine and unscrew
Drain oil. If there is spring/filter attached to screw remove debris.
Screw drain plug back into position and ensure is tight.
Fill engine with oil again using a funnel positioned where the dip stick is located. ensure the correct amount of oil is used in accordance with manufacturer information.
Run engine for 10 minutes checking for leaks. Turn off engine and let engine cool off for 5 minutes allowing oil to settle. Check dipstick to ensure amount of oil is correct.
How do you know when the oil needs changing?
- Dipstick: pulling this out and inspecting the oil will allow you to determine its colour. If it thick and black then it may be time for a refresh.
- Inspection window: on newer scooters and motorcycles they may have a window which will allow you to check the oils colour.
- Engine noise: an engine with fresh oil will not make as much noise. That’s because fresh oil puts a protective layer of oil around the engines moving parts.
- Low level: if the oil level is below the minimum marker it’s time for a check. Also check you don’t have any leaks.
What are the benefits to changing the oil on a scooter regularly?
If you want to extend the life of your scooter or motorcycle and reduce the cost of unnecessary repairs and maintenance, changing the oil regularly is one of best things you can do to improve its efficiency.
- Performance: ensuring that the metal engine parts are lubricated with clean oil will improve performance and MPG.
- Remove dirt: if you have changed your engine oil before you will have noticed the difference between the new and old oil. Continually running the scooter or motorcycle with dirty oil can cause detrimental damage to the engine.
How often should you change the oil on a scooter or motorcycle?
1500-2000miles is recommended.
It’s always a good idea to check with the manufacture of your scooter as it can differ. It’s also important if you have had the scooter or motorcycle from new to check as not servicing and maintaining the vehicle inline with the prescribed schedule may invalidate the warranty.
Can I change the oil in my scooter or motorcycle myself?
Changing the oil is a relatively simple procedure. Where problems can arise is not putting the correct amount of oil back in, so check before hand the amount of oil by speaking to the manufacturer. If you are still not confident in doing the oil change yourself speak to a local garage who will be more than happy to do it for you.
Which type of oil should I use?
Synthetic blend or fully synthetic oil is the best oil you can buy. Whilst this can be a little more expensive your engine can benefit in the following way:
- Synthetic oil is less likely to breakdown from heat and friction meaning it will last longer.
- The chemical properties of synthetic oil means it is less likely to evaporate due to the high temperatures from the engine.
Tools and Oil Recommendations
Castrol POWER 1 Motorcycle Engine Oil 4L
Oil Drain Pan – 16litres
Rolson 36109 Socket Set – 40 Pieces
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of oil do you put in a scooter?
The oil required for a four stroke scooter is 10w-30 or 15w-40 engine oil. It is always recommended though that you speak to your main dealer or check the owner manual.
How often should I change the oil in my scooter?
Typically the engine oil in a scooter needs to be changed every 1500-2000 miles, which will avoid any damage being caused to the engine.
The amount of oil required in a scooter engine can differ a lot, and depends on the make and model. I would suggest checking your owners manual or speaking to your main dealer. To much oil is just as bad as not enough oil.
What is the best oil for a 50cc scooter?
The best oil for a 50cc is 15w40.
What happens if you go too long without an oil change?
If you don’t change the oil in your scooter or motorcycle it will result in engine failure, and you will need to replace the engine.
These 5 Steps to change oil on a scooter has hopefully helped you to perform a service. Can I recommend another post I wrote which includes 7 Steps to wash a motorcycle and what are the best products to use.
If your looking to purchase a new helmet you may also like to read about the 5 Best Arai Motorcycle Helmets For Touring, Design And Upright Riding.