Lets start with a cliche. Prevention is better than cure when it comes to stopping your scooter or motorcycle from being stolen.
We all know it, but how many of us actually live by it?
Scooter theft in London is at its highest its ever been, but what are the consequences?
- Your scooter worth hundreds or thousands disappears forever.
- Your scooter gets stolen, but later is found with damage costing hundreds or thousands to repair.
- Your scooter or motorcycle was your only means of earning an income and with out it your income is impacted dramatically.
It takes a matter of seconds for a thief to steal a moped, scooter or motorcycle if it is not correctly locked. Reduce your risk of becoming a victim of crime by assessing your vehicle security options today.
How can I prevent my scooter or motorcycle from being stolen?
Use a disc lock to help secure the front brake disc, or a grip lock to secure the brake and throttle controls. You could also use a D lock on the front wheel to stop it being wheeled away.
Thieves often steal a bike by breaking the steering lock and wheeling it away. Use a chain lock through the back wheel (the front wheel can be removed).
Secure your bike, with the lock taut to an immovable object such as a ground anchor or a lamp post. This will stop thieves from cutting a lock trailing on the ground using an angle grinder. If this isn’t possible, thread the chain through your bike frame and back wheel.
Thieves often ‘shop’ for particular bike models. Using a cover instantly makes it less attractive to them. A cover also provides another time consuming obstacle for the thief.
Unfortunately security measures can’t guarantee your bike won’t be stolen but, by using multiple security measures, you can make it harder and less attractive for thieves.
Never rely solely on just the steering lock as this can be broken and your scooter or motorcycle can be pushed away quite easily.
You May Also Find This Post Useful:
What To Do If Your Scooter Or Motorcycle Is Stolen.
Additional Tips And Advise On Preventing Your Scooter Or Motorcycle From Being stolen:
- Leaving the scooter parked in an area which is visible to a camera.
- Avoid leaving the keys in the scooter regardless of how long you believe the bike will be unattended.
- Leaving the scooter or motorcycle in a shed or garage over night.
- Avoid parking the scooter in the same place every day if possible.
- Consider fitting an alarm to your scooter or motorcycle. It is also possible to now buy disc locks with a built in alarm which acts as an excellent deterrent.
- Consider fitting a tracking device to your scooter or motorcycle. The advances in this type of device allow you to track your scooter or motorcycle from your phone.
Pingback: What to do if your scooter/motorcycle is stolen?
Pingback: Moped Thieves Rammed By Police
Pingback: Police Ram Stolen Scooters: Why This Is Bad News For Deliveroo Riders.
Pingback: Choosing An Alarmed Motorcycle Disk Lock Over £50
Pingback: MOPED THUGS GET 67 YEARS